Sunday, March 12, 2006

ID Cards Bill / Legislative & Regulatory Reform Bill

This is the text of a letter I wrote on the 10th March to my MP, Neil Gerrard (Labour, Walthamstow). I have not yet received any reply.

Dear Neil Gerrard,

I am deeply concerned about the continuing attacks this government is making on civil liberties and parliamentary democracy in this country.I was very angry to read today that the monstrous ID Card Bill is to return to the Commons on Monday in an attempt to force it through as soon as possible. This Bill will waste many billions of pounds and achieve nothing except to criminalise the whole population. I am sure I am amongst many who regard it as an outrage that I should have to be forcibly fingerprinted, and have DNA samples taken from me by force when I have committed no crime. If Blair imagines that if he gets this disgraceful measure through Parliament that is the end of the matter, then I predict he couldn't be more wrong. Once compulsion starts, co-operation will end.

However, even this appalling measure pales beside the breathtaking arrogance of the Legislative & Regulatory Reform Bill. I am sure there is no need to go over the potential effects of this measure with you. It appears to resemble nothing more than the Nazi Enabling Act of the 1930s which allowed Hitler to enact legislation without any vote. Any MP who supports this measure is a turkey voting for Christmas. Sadly, with some exceptions, the Parliamentary Labour Party appears to be full of turkeys.

Hasn't Blair done enough damage to the Labour Party? If he is allowed to get away with all this it won't just be the Labour Party out of power for a generation (as is likely now with all the lies and war crimes) but finished for good.I must ask you to do everything that you can to prevent these appalling measures from being enacted. If they are, don't ask the people of Walthamstow to vote Labour again.

Yours sincerely,

Grouchy.

No comments: