Saturday, March 11, 2006

A weekend in Granada, Spain









The pictures are of the Alhambra, a unique complex of Moorish palaces in Granada (there are some more pictures on my Flickr photostream).

I went to Granada for the weekend with my Spanish class recently. It is very easy to get to nowadays as you can fly direct from Stansted by Ryanair. The flight takes two and a half hours. Granada Airport is only 10 miles outside the city, and you can travel in quite quickly by bus or taxi. It is also fairly cheap - I paid £76 for return flights including insurance.

I would recommend the trip, especially if you want to practise your Spanish, as we did. There is nothing quite like trying to order dinner in a restaurant, or buying things in a shop, or asking for directions in the street to practise all your basic Spanish knowledge (and crappy pronunciation in our case). The Alhambra is a must to visit. Make sure you book in advance, and that you arrive on time (or they won't let you in). Allow at least three or four hours for a proper visit (and take food and drink with you - you'll need it!).

I didn't really have much chance to look round the rest of the city, although I do recommend that you visit the Albaicin area - I'll post some pictures here soon. If you are into salsa, there are good bars you can visit to practise your dancing. As I don't dance I had to make do with watching - which wasn't too painful. If you decide to visit around this time of year, take some warm clothes. It was bloody freezing first thing on Sunday, although it warmed up a bit when the sun came out.

Adios amigos - hasta luega.

No comments: